Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Things Could’ve Changed Just Like That…

I was so eager to get off on time today at work. For several days now I have been working over, merely because of the fact that I’m OCD and don’t like to leave until everything is finish. Well, sometimes it’s just not possible and I have to learn to let it go and leave it for the next day. So that’s exactly what I was bound and determined to do this afternoon. I was going to leave right at the time I was supposed to get off. I was a little upset though, because I had already went 30 minutes over the time that I told myself I was going to leave by because traffic gets really bad in particular time frames. Then I saw it was pouring, I mean POURING down rain. As I grabbed my stuff and headed to the door… I caught myself turning around and walking back to my desk. What’s the point? I might as well stay and work a little more because rain in Atlanta means the traffic is going to be worse than normal. All I could think about was how I would have to sit in the traffic, watch my car’s temperature gauge run hot, then having to turn my heat on full blast to take away from the temperature rising and not being able to roll down my windows to release the heat from my car. I’d have to just sit there and swelter into a puddle. However, I had made a promise to myself that I would not stay late that day, because it was starting to become a routine. So I needed to draw myself a line. So I just decided to leave and prayed that I wouldn’t get stuck in the rain and sweat with the heat on in my car to keep my car from overheating.

So here’s where the story really begins. As I was exiting off the exit ramp to merge onto the interstate (the six lane interstate, mind you) something super scary happened. I almost crashed! Here’s what happened…it was raining so hard, it was hard to see. I had my wipers on as fast as they would go and I wasn’t driving no more than 30 miles an hour. Well, there was a car in front of me, and I saw it hydroplane on the water. When it did that, the car’s tires slung a waterfall of water up on my windshield and I couldn’t see ANYTHING but water. It was so much water, it overpowered my windshield wipers. To make it worse, it the midst of not being able to see, my car then started to hydroplane. It was like everything then went in slow motion. The water on my windshield seemed to become still in a freeze-framed photograph and I looked at my hands on the steering wheel and thought to myself, “ So this is what it feels like before you get in a major crash.” I just felt it coming. Because I was on an exit ramp, merging onto the six lane interstate and my car was hydroplaning and swerving to the left… I just knew that I was about to have cars crashing into me. To make it even worse, I knew they were going to hit my driver door, because that’s just the way the car had swerved.

But for a moment… it’s just as if time had frozen. Everything went so very slow and I even had time to think, “don’t tense up… you’re not suppose to tense up when you prepare to brace yourself for a car accident.” Then I heard it…. it’s like the radio had been mute the whole time, but then I heard it… as my life was flashing before my eyes… I heard Chris Tomlin singing “Amazing Grace” so softly, so slowly on the radio. Then Psalm 91:11 came to my mind, “For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.” Then I closed my eyes…(yes while driving… at this point I had submitted to the crash.) I mean..it was probably for a split second, but it seemed like eternity. Then all of a sudden, when I opened my eyes.. the water on my windshield had gone away and I could see the road and tried to regain control of the car again. I had swerved on the exit ramp, but although I should have already been on the interstate, I had stayed on the exit ramp and pulled myself back into my lane. It was a true miracle. It was the Lord. It totally was…

Then I did what any mature young adult would do after such an intense experience… I called my Mama. I was shaking so bad and crying, I thought I would have to stop the car. I would of had to stop the car, but traffic had already done that for me. I had never been so thankful in my life to be stuck in Atlanta traffic. To make it more cooler? I sat in traffic for a long time too, and not once did my car run hot nor did I have to turn the heat on. THAT was God. I felt so lucky and blessed and protected. Thank the Lord I was safe, because it could have been really bad. Things could’ve changed in an instant…just like that. BAM. But... thankfully I had Amazing Grace...

1 comment:

JULIE said...

Wow Miranda! That's a story right there! I'm so glad you're okay. God took such care of you, & I would have cried, too. :)