Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Work of Your Fingers

I love looking at the clouds. Each one has a unique shape, and a unique form. Some are beautiful, full and fluffy. Some are long, elegant, and whispy. And some have shapes that cater to each imagination that dares to dream upon it. I guess the phrase “head in the clouds” can be tacked to me. I’m always staring up at them… always looking at the shapes… always admiring the beautiful creation that forms in the sky each day. Oftentimes, I’ll pretend that it’s a canvas. Sometimes when I look up… I don’t see the sky. If I close my eyes and re-open them…. There is the most beautiful ocean that anyone has ever seen. The white ripples of the tide lay stationed in place, adorning the sky with its ever still, breathtaking beauty. Isn’t it wonderful? The Artist who formed man from dust and fashioned woman… is the same One who created the beautiful masterpieces that frame our lives every day. The One who is the Keeper of all creation and the One who lets His wonderful works be displayed throughout all the nations. He chooses to let His splendor linger everywhere.....even in the clouds!

Everywhere. Wow, think about it? That is a vast range of places, yet it is where we can always find the presence of our LORD. In Psalm 139: 9-10,

“If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.”

King David, Israel’s greatest King, revealed that God’s presence isn’t that of a spectator. He doesn’t just stand on the sidelines...instead…He prefers to be attached at the hip, I think! God was always at David’s side with extended arms. He was always there to lead, guide, correct, and direct him. God’s right hand was right there… ready to hold him up. Isn’t it awesome that He is the same way with us!! One of my favorite scriptures is Isaiah 41:10 (the second half)…

“…I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

I want that kind of strength in my life! You want to know something funny? Just yesterday I saw a cloud that reminded me of this verse! Ha! No joke... it looked like a hand… and the way it was angled... you could so tell it was a RIGHT hand. And it was ironic that I saw that and was reminded of that verse… because I was driving from Milledgeville; where I had met my friend who is watching my Chihuahua, Tipi, for the next four months. It was a very hard drive for me because I LOVE that dog. She’s my baby, and it was just tearing me up that I had to send her away. But, in my heart, I believe that was God’s way of reminding me that’s He is everywhere, that He is with my doggie and that He is with me, and He will hold us both up as I venture off and try to live in His will.

Get this.... this is so fun!! Did you know that God is omnipresent?! God’s omnipresence means that God is present in ALL places. There isn’t a place that doesn’t have the presence of God, and not only do all places have the presence of our great God… but He is completely present in every place. You don’t just have Him there half-hearted upon your life. He is right there, and He has His whole heart wrapped around your life and wrapped around my life. Yeah, don’t even try to think about it… it is beyond us and you’ll probably get a headache if you try to understand it with human reasoning. Ha! It’s not just what King David penned through the words of the Holy Spirit upon him….it’s the same thing our Savior said to the disciples before He descended back to heaven after His glorious resurrection that gave us His righteousness and freed us from the bondage of sin. Jesus said,” And surely I am with you ALWAYS, to the very end of the age.” Matt 28:20 ……

Immanuel: “God with us.” Isn’t that awesome?!?!?!

That is definitely a Word of encouragement as this New Year begins… to know that no matter where this year takes us… God is always right there with us, so why worry? Just listen to the first half of Isaiah 41:10

“So do not fear, for I am with you, do not be dismayed, for I am your God…”

Lord, The work of Your fingers (Psalm 8:3)...even in the clouds... is SO incredibly awesome to me! Thank You so much for everything that You are and everything that You do. Thank You for Your awesome omnipresence. Lord, may I always remain in You, so that You will remain in me (John 15:4). May I always draw near to You, so You will draw near to me (James 4:8.) May my eyes remain fixed on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of my faith (Hebrews 12:2) so that I may never miss a moment to recognize His splendor or bring glory to His Name. May I remain in Your Word to receive direction this next year, and may I not just be a “hearer” but a “doer” (James 1-22.) As Beth Moore says, I want a Jesus-year! Lord, I want to witness scripture being fulfilled in my own life and being obedient and faithful to Your Word, living it out, and trusting Your commands …and by doing so...by keeping at it… I know that I will receive the blessings that You have to offer! So, I will not fear what this New Year brings…for I know that You are MY GOD! WoO hOo!! In Jesus’ name… Amen!

2 comments:

Yolanda said...

Miranda,

Hello, how are you? Have you gotten all moved and ready for your new job? It's also exciting to be on the look out for the fingerprints that Christ will leave each day over your life!!

Love to you,
Yolanda

Devoted said...

Great post! You will have to give your doggie a call. My dog's name is Isabella but my husband calls her toco bell. LOL Jake calls Bruno, his lab from Missouri. When he is in Afganistan he will skype the dog and we will have to put the camera up to the dogs face. Ahhhh...God is so good and it is so comforting to know He is every where, all the time! God bless you, dear sister, and may He keep His hand upon you in this new adventure you call life.